Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

It's a season of new beginnings! I'm reminded of the passage of scripture in Lamentations, chapter three, verses 22 and 23: "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." His mercies are new to us every day! I wouldn't make it without His great mercy. So, I'm thanking the Lord for His mercy and grace, lavished on me and available as I bow my knee to Him and ask Him to guide me (and my family) in this new year. I pray that you will seek His face and experience His grace and mercy in your life as well.

It began to snow here on New Year's eve and has kept snowing, lightly. We have about eight inches on the ground... and it's still snowing as I look out the window. (Chris is out shoveling the driveway... good cardio!) I LOVE Michigan winters! (Oh, there goes our neighbor... snowshoeing down the street! How fun!) Last night I broke away from the party to walk Lucy (the beagle) - she'd had too much party and needed to get out! It was one of those magical snowy nights! The street lights were all on, Christmas lights on neighbor's houses, not a car in sight.... It was Lucy, me and the "crunch" of New Year's eve snow. I love that "snow quiet"!

We had a couple families over for the evening... Lots of laughter, games, food, and party horns! We closed the night, or should I say began the morning, with scripture and prayer and had a great time together. God has blessed us with friends who have become 'family' and we love them dearly.

Yesterday afternoon, Chris came home from the church office with a little box of his 'stuff'. He had cleared out his desk at the church. He is officially unemployed . We enjoyed a reception following the morning service this past Sunday, avoiding saying a final "good-bye" to a few close friends, but in a large part closing that chapter of our life. We are so confident that God's hand is upon our family during this time of transition, that we are at peace as we leave Maranatha.

We are looking forward with anticipation to God leading us into the next 'chapter' in our lives and are trusting in the promises of His Word. Promises to call us, to lead us, to refine us, to bless us, to use us, and to develop more of His character in our lives. We are full of faith and excited to step out and follow His lead.

I'm praying for several friends as this new year begins... One just had cancer surgery and awaits pathology reports; one who is beginning the process of saying goodbye to her father as his health fails; a few who are in the stages of 'releasing' children to a new stage of life; one who is far away from her children and has to love them through emails and phone calls; one who is expecting her second child.... So, I'm praying for God's mercy and grace to cover each of their circumstances. I'm praying that each one of them will be blessed to experience the lordship of Christ over their lives in a new way. I'm praying that each one will pass on the blessings and give God the glory He is worthy of.

So, pass on His mercy and grace to someone in your life path. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori, love your blog. The snow photos are awesome! Makes me wish I lived in Michigan! The Bible verse, Lamentations 3:22,23 gave me such joy and comfort..thanks for sharing it! I'm praying for a quick answer from God directing your next move. You are right on track when you say what's important, other than the different denominations, is a heart that truly desires to worship God. I thank God for people like you, Chris and family. Love you all.
Blessings,
Aunt Vicky