Thursday, December 20, 2007

Baking, baking, baking! Yesterday was baking day as I prepared cookies trays to give to the Church staff. And as I was baking I enjoyed some great memories - holiday traditions are magical things! Having missed them last year while I went through cancer surgery, they all seem to sparkle a little brighter this year.

I was actually getting a little weary, placing the shortbread cut-outs on the cooling rack when my thirteen-year-old walked into the kitchen and exclaimed, "Oh! Those cookies! I get to help, don't I?" I have pictures, from previous years, of the boys with frosting up to their elbows, decorating the 'holly-shaped' cookies - light green frosting, green sugar sprinkled on top and two red hots for the 'berries'. My spirits lifted with his excitement and we all had fun sitting at the kitchen table, frosting and sprinkling and decorating.

As I baked the other cookies, I realized that some of my favorite Christmas cookies are recipes from dear friends. There are "Auntie Marys" from Jen - a cookie that her Aunt Mary passed on, Molasses cookies from Karen - my family's 'anytime' favorite cookie, and Raspberry Thumbprints from Linn - we used to baked our cookies together in her big kitchen. It was like visiting with my friends while I baked and remember the fun times we used to share.

Last night, I called a dear friend in CA to make sure I still had her correct address and we talked over an hour. I felt like I received an early Christmas gift! Today, I continued the task of updating my addresses and spoke with two other old friends - such a fun time!

Timithi has been dying to have lights up on the outside of the house. But our new (temp.) house has such high gables, we couldn't quite figure out how to get them to outline the roof. So I sent him outside yesterday with the box of lights, extension cords, and creative license! We've now got white lights, multi-colored lights and even some icicle lights on two sides of the house! It's very creative and he had a great time stringing the up.

I'm thanking God for each special memory we get to make during the holidays. And I'm thanking Him for the precious gift of Christ, given to us in flesh - because He knew we would need more than cookies and lights and presents. We needed The Word. We needed The Light of the world. We needed the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. We needing saving. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey. Nice sight. Now you'll need to add pictures of Timithi's creation.
Just got back from making memories at Kristi's party in Grandville. Thanks for being part of our memories. Dale