Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lesson plans

We are taking six weeks for "summer break" this year. And summer is winding down.

Eighth and ninth grades start on September 1st. Thanks to my dear friend, Mary, I've got a better handle on making out lesson plans and heading into this school year. It feels great to be better organized, with a good overview of where we are heading as we start the year.

As I've prayed about it, looked through the texts and gotten feedback from other homeschool moms, the 'big picture' for the school year comes into view. And the Lord has confirmed things several times as I've discussed plans for the year with Chris. It's a wonderful thing when he brings up something before I do... and we both have the same thoughts about what should be done. God is good!

So far I've planned out Math9 and Math8, Literature, Vocabulary, and Health. Still have to fill the plan book with Grammar, Science, Spanish, Computer and World Geography.

Forget about the 'thrill' of running to the store to buy back packs, mechanical pencils and protractors... I get a little rush from receiving a book order and opening the textbooks, teacher resources, and test/quiz books and writing out the lesson plans! It's a great accomplishment to see the lesson plan book all filled in.

Ultimately, of course, our days are in the hands of our heavenly Father. Most days our 'lesson plans' will stand and will be accomplished. But there will probably be some days when His 'plans are not our plans' and we will bend and be flexible. His thoughts are always higher and His ways are always infinitely better than ours. So I will lay out the 'plans' within my limited view of the road ahead, and trust God to show me what changes might need to be made. Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: